[Cu-wireless] sascha update re: public funding

Sascha Meinrath sascha at ucimc.org
Thu Aug 15 16:15:05 CDT 2002

relax mark.  the meeting was not secret -- it was regularly scheduled,
announced on our list, and was comprised of three folks who currently
happen to be working hard to implement the final software for the
prototype network.

in addition, i have been talking about the idea of fiscal sponsorship for
a year now at numerous meetings, many of which you attended and gave input
at.  i recall multiple meetings in my living room when we drank beers,
discussed timelines, and got the wireless project jumpstarted -- at that
time we discussed the idea of fiscal sponsorship at length.  we had
decided that we wouldn't pursue the idea unless it somehow helped move the
project forward.  we are now at a point when we may receive substantial
fiscal support and it is extremely advantageous to become fiscally
sponsored.

i brought the idea to a regularly scheduled and announced wireless meeting
and everyone agreed that it was a good idea.  fiscal sponsorship will have
no impact on us as a free and open organization, but will positively
impact our ability to implement a prototype network.

as for confidentiality, i'm simply asking folks not to broadcast it
through the media.  i know that our list is not secure and am not worried
about that.  i just want to be able to meet with council members first,
before they hear about the idea through other avenues.

--sascha