[Cu-wireless] How can I help?

B. Sanders barry at bsanders.net
Wed Dec 4 22:19:03 CST 2002

Hi Bret, Chase, Perry, et al,

John Martirano at NCSA told me about the CU Wireless group, and then this
evening I met Perry at a wine tasting at Krannert and he mentioned it as
well.  I love the idea, and want to help if I can. Like Perry, I am planning
to see Scott Ritter on Thursday; but would like to come to a meeting very
soon.

I'm advising/assisting a Nigerian student (who I met 2 weeks ago at
Supercomputing 2002) on setting up an 802.11-based network in central
Nigeria, where Internet access is scarce and very expensive (they pay by the
minute).  When I showed him the now-legendary Pringles "cantenna" on a
website (and other antenna designs made from scrap) and demonstrated my
sub-$200 wireless HP Jornada, he immediately began strategizing to setup his
own network in Nigeria to serve the population there.

Nigerians have a cash-only economy, no credit cards, bank accounts are rare,
and their exchange rate is terrible (120 naira = $1).  Anjikwi makes about
800 naira per day right now; but he is determined, and resourceful.  He
hopes to have his American friends ship wireless equipment to Nigeria, since
we can order from cheap online sources with credit cards and pay with
American dollars.

Anybody want to take a field trip to Nigeria?  I've been promised free food
and lodging.

Looking forward to meeting you all.

Barry Sanders