[Cu-wireless] PLEASE READ:

David Young dyoung at ojctech.com
Fri Dec 6 13:07:40 CST 2002

Maybe I misunderstand what they are doing, but it sounds like a global
network of hotspots, striving that there is no urban or suburban home
further than 5 minutes from a hotspot. The advantage to the customer
is that you can have one hotspot membership that works anywhere, and
reduced subscription costs due to economies of scale: 1,000,000 hotspots
will cost less for IBM/AT&T/Intel to buy and deploy than for a local to
install just one, and they will buy broadband for one million hotspots
less expensively than a local can buy for one hotspot. There will be
an (inter)national wired distribution for this hotspot system. They
will probably buy Internet service from one or more major carriers and
install gear at telco offices in your city which will bridge the DSLs
(or whatever) coming from the coffeeshops to the Internet.

Our project, on the other hand, is a wireless distribution system that
spans Champaign-Urbana. A hotspot here or there may be a side-effect of
our project, but I don't see that we're in any competition with hotspot
companies.

Dave

On Fri, Dec 06, 2002 at 05:43:14AM -0600, Ralph Johnson wrote:
> I think it is related to what we are doing.  Once these guys
> build their commercial network, it will be harder to get people
> to go to a community based one.  But if the community based one
> is in place, they won't have a chance.
>
> -Ralph

dyoung at ojctech.com      Engineering from the Right Brain
                        Urbana, IL * (217) 278-3933