[Cu-wireless] firewall rules, tunneling

Ralph Johnson johnson at cs.uiuc.edu
Mon Dec 9 09:31:23 CST 2002

> 1 We need some firewall rules to protect the subscriber side of our nodes.
> If you want to go the extra mile, find a teeny-tiny Web server that
> will serve up an easy-to-use firewall configurator on the subscriber
> side.

Could you explain in more detail what you want?  Perhaps give examples?

> 2 For subscribers' privacy, we need for some brave soul to invent a
> secure scheme for tunneling over wireless to a tunnel server which is
> attached to the Internet. I can point you to docs to get you started on
> NetBSD. I imagine the tunnel server will be a Linux machine at Zach's.

Madhur Nigam has been working with me to figure out how to make tunnels from
one NetBSD box to another.  We are tunneling with ssh so it should be
portable.  We are working on a variety of related issues, like how to get
the private key when the router gets rebooted, even though the router has no
disk.  So, you can assume we will take care of it.

-Ralph