[Cu-wireless] Pentagon claims that transmissions in wireless internet spectrum cause radar interference

Illustrious niteshad niteshad at linuxmail.org
Wed Dec 18 16:37:40 CST 2002

Netstumbler is linking to this story as well, or you can use this handy link: http://www.nytimes.com/2002/12/17/technology/17WIRE.html

I'm rather dubious of this initiative.  The Dept. of Defense and the Pentagon have a history of claiming wide swaths of the EM spectrum (at least the part with wavelengths longer than red ;) for their own use to the detriment of society at large.  For example, the US lacks certain 3G cellular frequencies, because military radio networks operate on some of those frequencies.

I encourage everyone to read the linked story.  To me, however, this sounds like Sirius Starband Satellite Radio requesting that all 2.4 GHz transmissions be limited to a peak of 10 mW, in order to avoid "out-of-band interference" with their satellite radio.  It sounds like an attempted "land-grab" after someone else has already layed claim to it; there's a word for that activity, and it's claim-jumping.  Sorry, but I just don't buy the excuse that the War on Terror requires all potential resources which might just be used for communication which the Pentagon might take issue with.

Perhaps I'm being too paranoid...  If not, well, they can have my Wi-Fi gear when they pull it from my cold dead hands.   ;)

regards,

Mark

http://www.linuxmail.org/