[Cu-wireless] status report

Jon Dugan jdugan at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Fri Dec 20 17:59:41 CST 2002

  I can chip in too.

  I live at the corner of Maple and Michigan (one block east of Vine street).
  Any chance of reaching any of the other folks?  If so I have a cable modem
  that we can use for additional bandwidth to the Internet.

  I'd love to have a node on premises to play with -- I think I have enough
  hardware to piece one together.

On Fri, Dec 20, 2002 at 05:45:50PM -0600, Perry Melange wrote:
> Should we place another order for antennas?  I'm willing to pitch in.
> What do we need (and how much is it)?
>
> Perry
>
> On Thu, 19 Dec 2002, David Young wrote:
>

> > There are new stations at Zach's and at Peter Miller's next-door
> > neighbor's. Zach's begins a new network in the vicinity of Urbana
> > High School.
> >
> > I can barely pick up Zach's at my house, and only if I stick the antenna
> > out the front window in the attic. The roof seems to soak up the signal
> > like a sponge.
> >
> > At my house, the signal strength hovers around -90dBm. That is way under
> > the LinkSys radio's -80dBm receive sensitivity, but it was just strong
> > enough that I could ssh to Zach's with a Senao card.
> >
> > Ivan's house is a little nearer to Zach's, I think. Hopefully the signal
> > strength is higher there. If it is, then several of Ivan's neighbors
> > (including me) should be able to get connected.
> >
> > We will run out of antennas, soon.
> >
> > It is still on my to-do list to survey Perry's house.
> >
> > Dave
> >

> --
> Perry Melange      "Make things as simple as possible, but no simpler."
> pmelange at null.cc.uic.edu                              - Albert Einstein
> http://null.cc.uic.edu/~pmelange/resume

Jon Dugan             |  Senior Network Engineer, NCSA Network Research
jdugan at ncsa.uiuc.edu  |  269 CAB, 605 E Springfield, Champaign, IL 61820
217-244-7715          |  http://www.ncsa.uiuc.edu/~jdugan/