[Cu-wireless] ojc node update

David Young dyoung at onthejob.net
Tue Feb 12 22:53:59 CST 2002

This is in response to an e-mail from Sascha.

I have changed the network name for the OJC node to imcair.  Please,
oh please, experiment with the node. It is 192.168.1.1 in network in
192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0. Use DNS server 63.146.38.2. I will try out
a DHCP server, soon.

I will give an account on the machine to anyone who asks, provided I
have met them. Su, Mark, Peter, and I have accounts already. I will
not give out accounts more generally until I have done some work to
secure the computer and network.

I won't change the root password, but I will give the root password to
anyone who has a compelling reason to have it.

I am going to do a few things to protect OJC. I am going to try to
limit the bandwidth that our wireless node will use. I am also going
to try to limit access for non-account holders to reading Web pages,
downloading e-mail, and using Secure Shell. This way I hope no one will
get OJC in trouble with its upstream provider.

I am still debugging the wireless driver for NetBSD. I may sign a pact
with the devil (i.e., sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement with Intersil)
so that I can read the programmer's interface manual. I will not do this
if it will keep me from giving my sources back under a free license.

People ask why I've used NetBSD instead of Linux.  I think that it is
configured more easily than Linux is, I think that it suffers less
from feature creep, I think that it is designed and programmed more
conscientiously, and I think that the documentation is more complete.

BTW, a disadvantage to NetBSD is its user community. Writing to a Linux
mailing list, at least I always get back a half-dozen useless responses
and maybe 1 helpful one. Writing to a NetBSD mailing list, all that I
usually hear back is my e-mail's echo from across the Internet.

(Tip: When asking questions about NetBSD, identify a clueful individual
 by their messages to mailing lists and write them directly.)

Dave

--
David Young                   On the Job Consulting
dyoung at onthejob.net     Urbana, IL * (217) 278-3933