[Cu-wireless] lightning protection?

David Young dyoung at ojctech.com
Sun Jul 28 21:19:20 CDT 2002

I am going to attach a pole to my chimney and mount on the pole both
a computer and an omni antenna. A short piece of LMR-400 will link the
computer and the antenna. Outdoor-rated Cat5 will carry power and data
from inside my house to the radio.

How do I protect this setup from lightning? I want to protect my equipment
and my landlord's house from damage, indoors and out.

Is it likely that the chimney has a good ground? I see no lightning rod
from the ground. If not, should I bring a ground conductor down to earth?
Down to the nearest ground? (Presumably there is a good ground where
the power lines enter the house.)

I presume a surge suppressor belongs on the Cat5. Inside or outside the
house? As near the computer enclosure or as far from it as possible?

Also, I presume a suppressor belongs between the antenna and the computer
enclosure?

dyoung at onthejob.net     Engineering from the Right Brain
                        Urbana, IL * (217) 278-3933