[Cu-wireless] Re: Cu-wireless digest, Vol 1 #177 - 1 msg

Peter Folk pfolk at gargtech.com
Mon Jul 29 10:58:01 CDT 2002

Urbana and Champaign both use the National Electric Code as the basis
of their building safety code.  The NEC doesn't talk about how to pro-
tect yourself from lightning, and nothing is required by law, tho your
insurance might be lower if you have one installed.  Lighning protection
systems should be installed according to NFPA standard 780, available
from www.nfpa.org for $30.

That said, the NEC and Champaign electrical inspector (I haven't talked
with Urbana yet) do care how you do grounding.  Take my advice only at
your own risk, but my reading and talking with the Inspector came up with
the following guidelines:

1) If you ground, you must bond all your grounds together.
2) No ground wire can be longer than 20' (this seems hard to do,
but is the rule).
3) No two ground plates (or rods) can be closer than 6' together,
or closer than 6' to another grounding system.

If you're worried about lightning, don't ground only to the house
wiring, as that can lead to fires; you should run a separate #6 or
larger copper conductor from the antenna site to ground.

If anybody knows more about this they should speak up now; the above
is just based on my own studyin', askin', and figurin'.

Pete