[Cu-wireless] Antenna physics/microwave optics talk (with minor administrivia preamble)

niteshad at whopper.de niteshad at whopper.de
Sat Jun 8 02:32:33 CDT 2002

Greetings everyone,

	Despite my long absence from recent meetings and list postings, I do
still wish to be active in the group.  First of I'm in favor of moving the
General Meetings to Thursday nights in order to avoid the band practice.  Also, I
think that the Design Group should be deactivated, at least temporarily, as
we seem to have a workable network architecture designed, and now need to
go about the humble task of implementing it.  Perhaps in its place we should
start up other Affinity Groups more suited to our current tasks.
	Several people at the last General meeting I attended expressed interest
in a talk regarding "the physics of 802.11B"  I'm wondering what specific
topics people would be most interested in.  I could start the talk on as basic
a level as geometrical optics (refraction, reflection, diffraction and
interference), or at a more advanced level of Optics/Electrodynamics based on
Maxwell's Equations and a very healthy dose of 3-D vector calculus, or
anywhere in between.  My eventual goal will be to discuss the physics of microwave
antennas, particularly omni-directional antennas, but we need to lay some
groundwork first.  Where would people like me to start?  Your feedback will
help me organize my talk.
	BTW, Zach, are the rumors of a whiteboard at your house true.  Physics
goes better with either a whiteboard or a blackbord.

best regards,

Mark

--
Sent through Global Message Exchange - http://www.gmx.net