[Cu-wireless] visited w/ hams this afternoon

Ralph Johnson johnson at cs.uiuc.edu
Mon Jun 24 14:09:30 CDT 2002

>From: Chase Phillips <shepard at ameth.org>

>Based on your views wrt. antennae, I guess that you are not too concerned
>about the very thing that keeps the spectrum for hams "legal," correct?
>(FCC)  How do you reconcile the large amount of equipment used in wlans
>that must be FCC approved if it is to be mass-marketed?  In what ways
>would it be better to consider FCC sentiments for this project?  In what
>ways wouldn't it be better?  Is there any way to get what you want, and
>still work with the FCC?  If after answering all of these questions you
>come to the conclusion that there's a fundamental disagreement between the
>interests of the FCC and cu-wireless, then you must then see the same
>fundamental disparity between this group and the hams.

I don't understand your questions.  You seem to be implying that
cu-wireless is violating FCC regulations.  That is news to me.  We
are using mass-marketed equipment that is supposedly FCC approved.
I haven't studied the FCC regulations, but I've read a number of
commentaries by people who said they did, and they claimed that everything
we were doing is legal.  I haven't heard anything to the contrary.

-Ralph Johnson