[Cu-wireless] visited w/ hams this afternoon

David Young dyoung at ojctech.com
Mon Jun 24 15:37:11 CDT 2002

Ralph, Chase,

Chase and I are bringing a discussion we'd had in private to the list
because it might be interesting to subscribers.

Chase is talking about the FCC requirements that your antenna, amp,
and radio be FCC-certified. Anyway, our home-made antennas are not FCC
certified, and so they are probably not legal. Possibly I misunderstand
the whole certification regime. If so, someone please fill me in.

It is my position that since FCC-certified antennas are bought at much
greater cost than a motivated experimenter can build one, sometimes
adding 10-20% to the cost of a station, then I am not going to sweat it
if experimenters use home-built antennas in our network, ***provided they
abide by Part 15 transmit-power and out-of-band transmission limits***. It
seems to me that it is those limits that matter, not the certifications,
if one will be a good "steward of the airwaves."

Dave