[Cu-wireless] Re: Cu-wireless digest, Vol 1 #158 - 2 msgs

David Young dyoung at ojctech.com
Thu Jun 27 13:40:48 CDT 2002

A station never relays requests to itself.

A station belonging to a pod runs the DHCP server for that pod if it is
the "leader" for that pod, i.e., if it is station number 1 in that pod.

When a station belonging to a pod is not the leader of its pod, it
relays DHCP requests to the leader. The reason for that is that not some
stations in a pod will not be in radio range of the pod leader, however,
every station in a pod will be in radio range of some station in the pod.

A station will run both the DHCP server and the relay when it is both
a non-leader member of a pod and the leader of an uplink network.

Dave

On Thu, Jun 27, 2002 at 07:44:37AM -0500, Peter Folk wrote:
> Stephan wrote:
> > Now, regarding your DHCP question: DHCP (or BOOTP) requests are sent to
> > broadcast addresses (since the client doesn't even know it's own IP
> > address, there's no reason to believe it's going to know the IP address
> > of the server it's requesting its IP address from).
>
> For the record, at least one OS (Windows 98SE), in some situations,
> doesn't send its DHCP packets to the broadcast address =P  I have
> the ongoing problem with my laptop that, if it fails to get a lease
> the first time it tries, Windows gives it one of its funky pseudo-
> random Windows IPs (169.something) and from then on it sends DHCP
> requests to 169.254.255.255.  This make it hard to serve DHCP to
> that machine...
>
> Dave, why do you need to run the relay and the server on the same
> machine?  I'd think that the server running on the first station in
> a pod would be the target of relays running on the other pods; it
> shouldn't need to relay requests to itself...
>
> Pete

dyoung at onthejob.net     Engineering from the Right Brain
                        Urbana, IL * (217) 278-3933