[Cu-wireless] need a public-relations fact sheet

Stephane Alnet stephane_alnet at ureach.com
Tue Mar 19 11:06:09 CST 2002

Dave,

Agree. We should not forget the goal of the project is also to empower people (sorry
I couldn't find a better word) with the use of the radio "stuff", and explaining things
also matches the educational purpose of the project. The better we explain what we
are doing and show that we are able to support it with technical information (when
was the last time you discussed antenna design with your PCS salesperson?), the
easier it'll be to get people onboard.

> A fact sheet should contain comparisons of our power output level with
> other equipment in the same band, like microwave ovens

http://www.fda.gov/cdrh/consumer/microwave.html
"The limit is 5 milliwatts of microwave radiation per square centimeter at
approximately 2 inches from the oven surface.  This is far below the
level known to harm people."

http://www.fcc.gov/oet/rfsafety/Welcome.html
http://www.sardata.com/
"The SAR is a value that corresponds to the relative amount of RF energy absorbed
in the head of a user of a wireless handset. The FCC limit for public exposure from
cellular telephones is an SAR level of 1.6 watts per kilogram (1.6 W/kg)."

> The inverse square law and the pattern of our emissions might be
> relevant.

Any expert to give comparison values to the above ones? :)
S.