[Cu-wireless] channels and cables

David Young dyoung at onthejob.net
Mon Mar 25 15:36:16 CST 2002

Zach,

Neat idea.

I do not think it will be any problem to transmit two or more signals
on non-overlapping channels down the same coax. However, I do not know
how two or more signals are injected into a cable. Will a simple Y work
for microwaves?

It will be a problem to break the channels apart again, so both antennas
will broadcast and receive both the channels. Depending the application,
that will be ok.

Dave

On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 03:18:03PM -0600, Zachary C. Miller wrote:
> If we have 2 antennas mounted on a mast pointing in 2 different
> directions and they operate on 2 different channels can we combine
> their signals into a single coax run to the computer with 2 wifi cards
> and then put a splitter at the computer end with 2 pigtails? This
> could save some money and hassle (especially if we work to put in good
> coax installs at some houses for a single antenna and then decide to
> add a second antenna later...we don't have to run new coax, just throw
> on a combiner/splitter pair).
>
> What do the theory heads think about this? Can signals for 2 channels
> from 2 antennas coexist on the same coax without significant loss?
>
> --
> Zachary C. Miller - @= - http://wolfgang.groogroo.com/
> IMSA 1995 - UIUC 2000 - Just Another Leftist Muppet - Ya Basta!
>  Social Justice, Community, Nonviolence, Decentralization, Feminism,
>  Sustainability, Responsibility, Diversity, Democracy, Ecology

David Young                   On the Job Consulting
dyoung at onthejob.net     Urbana, IL * (217) 278-3933