[Cu-wireless] OpenAP platforms

Jon Dugan jdugan at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Tue Mar 26 11:53:31 CST 2002

  This looks like a really cool option.  I am planning to get may hands on one
  of the US Robotics APs that is based on the same motherboard.  I think the
  USR product can be had new for less than $150:

    http://www.insight.com/web/apps/productpresentation/index.php?product_id=USRUSR2450

  It isn't clear to me that all the features that they list on the instant802
  page are actually implemented at this point.  None the less this is an
  intriguing option.

On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 05:59:52PM -0600, Zachary C. Miller wrote:
> I just checked and the SMC EZConnect 2652W Access Points which are
> flashable with linux have been sellling on Ebay every few weeks for
> about $70-$150.
>
> This would give us a way to connect someone's house to our network for
> under $200 if we got it to work.
>
> Someone who has investment capital (that isn't me yet) should really
> look into picking one of these up. There's one on there now that will
> close in 2 hours but I'm sure more will show up if people pay
> attention.
>
> The OpenAP site for those who forgot is here:
> http://opensource.instant802.com/hardware.php
>
> --
> Zachary C. Miller - @= - http://wolfgang.groogroo.com/
> IMSA 1995 - UIUC 2000 - Just Another Leftist Muppet - Ya Basta!
>  Social Justice, Community, Nonviolence, Decentralization, Feminism,
>  Sustainability, Responsibility, Diversity, Democracy, Ecology

Jon Dugan             |  Senior Network Engineer, NCSA Network Development
jdugan at ncsa.uiuc.edu  |  269 CAB, 605 E Springfield, Champaign, IL 61820
217-244-7715          |  http://www.ncsa.uiuc.edu/~jdugan/