[Cu-wireless] architecture proposal

Ralph Johnson johnson at cs.uiuc.edu
Fri May 3 19:56:24 CDT 2002

>From: David Young <dyoung at onthejob.net>

>Most the things in my proposals, including
>the self-configuring aspect, the disklessness of the stations, the
>inobtrusive of the stations, etc., are based on my experience that
>it IS a problem that stations are configured independently by a human
>operator, that they run different versions of the software, that they
>are built from irregular equipment, that they make distracting noises,
>and that people object to the computers' location, size, appearance,
>or the location, size, and appearance of their accoutrements.

The only thing I was questioning was the self-configuring aspect.
A single CD can contain information about all the machines in the
network and a machine can use its MAC address to select the data
that belongs to it.

It is cool for machines to be self-configuring, but if you have
to write software for it then it would be easier to read the
configuration at boot time.

-Ralph