[Cu-wireless] Need advice in selecting a wireless gateway

niteshad at whopper.de niteshad at whopper.de
Fri May 17 02:20:04 CDT 2002

Greetings all,

	I mentioned this at the last General meeting, but thought that I might
pose my question(s) to the wider audience of the list.  I'm looking for an
"all-in-one" wireless access point, router/switch, firewall/NAT box.  Examples
would include devices like the D-Link DL-713P, the Linksys BEFW11S4 and the
Netgear MR314.  Is anyone out there using devices like these with their
Insight Broadband Cable Modem or DSL link?
	What do you find good about your wireless gateway, and what could be
improved on it?

Some of the feature that I need are:
Firewall/NAT capability
router/switch capability
(possibly) MAC address spoofing
Works well with Linux/*BSD
can receive its own IP address from an upstream DHCP server
can be its own DHCP server for wired and wireless clients
3-4 (preferably 4) switched 10/100 Base-T Ethernet ports
Security such as WEP (even though it's broken) IPSEC and VPN
detachable antennas (to facilitate connecting better antennas.)

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find all of these in one device.  If
you know of such a beast, please let me know.

Thanks in Advance,

Mark

--
Sent through Global Message Exchange - http://www.gmx.net