[Cu-wireless] Need advice in selecting a wireless gateway

David Young dyoung at ojctech.com
Fri May 17 02:35:47 CDT 2002

You will not find any inexpensive device with IPSec or VPN.

What do you mean by MAC address spoofing?

I am surprised if at least one of the three devices you mention does
not meet all the other criteria, except for the detachable antennas.

BTW, many retailers will not advertise that a device's antennas
detach. Even some manufacturers will not mention it.

Dave

On Fri, May 17, 2002 at 09:20:04AM +0200, niteshad at whopper.de wrote:
> Greetings all,
>
> 	I mentioned this at the last General meeting, but thought that I might
> pose my question(s) to the wider audience of the list.  I'm looking for an
> "all-in-one" wireless access point, router/switch, firewall/NAT box.  Examples
> would include devices like the D-Link DL-713P, the Linksys BEFW11S4 and the
> Netgear MR314.  Is anyone out there using devices like these with their
> Insight Broadband Cable Modem or DSL link?
> 	What do you find good about your wireless gateway, and what could be
> improved on it?
>
> Some of the feature that I need are:
> Firewall/NAT capability
> router/switch capability
> (possibly) MAC address spoofing
> Works well with Linux/*BSD
> can receive its own IP address from an upstream DHCP server
> can be its own DHCP server for wired and wireless clients
> 3-4 (preferably 4) switched 10/100 Base-T Ethernet ports
> Security such as WEP (even though it's broken) IPSEC and VPN
> detachable antennas (to facilitate connecting better antennas.)
>
> Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find all of these in one device.  If
> you know of such a beast, please let me know.
>
> Thanks in Advance,
>
> Mark
>
> --
> Sent through Global Message Exchange - http://www.gmx.net