[Cu-wireless] agenda tonight

David Young dyoung at ojctech.com
Thu Nov 7 02:21:10 CST 2002

The meeting tonight is at 115 W. Main St., 2nd Floor, Urbana. 6pm.
RSVP for pizza.

I suggest this agenda:

1 Discuss the situation on the current network, first, and the myriad
technical challenges, both solved and unsolved. Come up with new or
better approaches.

2 Decide steps to strengthen and grow the network.  As a springboard
for this discussion, I've drawn a map containing our existing three
stations and four times or more prospective stations in a few "pockets"
near downtown Urbana. I would like for us to add nodes to the map, take
nodes away, and produce a flexible growth plan to build out to the nodes
we think it is feasible and desirable to include.

3 Consider the network architecture and its software implementation,
and the services we are not providing our subscribers yet (DNS, firewall,
...).

4 Brainstorm more apps for the wireless network, with an emphasis on
apps unique to the wireless medium. Certain of our prospective funders
will want to hear about apps specific to wireless.

5 Schedule a work day really soon (this weekend or next, or next
Thursday night) to take an inventory of the parts we have, to upgrade
radio firmware, to build and test nodes, and to give the software an
indoor/outdoor "laboratory" test.

6 Come up with a plan for everyone to feel meaningfully involved
in at least one of these areas: software design & development, node
construction, research & education, outreach, or fundraising.

dyoung at ojctech.com      Engineering from the Right Brain
                        Urbana, IL * (217) 278-3933