[Cu-wireless] Faster 802.11b:

David Young dyoung at ojctech.com
Tue Oct 15 11:28:55 CDT 2002

That is probably the 22Mbps TI ACX-100. I read on the Web that it has
poor noise immunity, throughput is not actually much greater than an
11Mbps card (if not less), and there are no open source drivers.

The ACX-100 is an ARM processor with RF add-ons. If we could get hardware
specs, *maybe* we could do interesting things with the chip by customizing
the MAC protocol, etc.

TI has a "bozo filter" a mile deep, but maybe we can penetrate it to
get the hardware docs if we form a open-source wireless driver-writers
consortium. TI is interested in protecting itself from an onslaught of
dumb and/or duplicate questions about their equipment, so if the open
source world had a point person for technical queries, that would be good.

Dave

On Tue, Oct 15, 2002 at 10:40:41AM -0500, Sascha Meinrath wrote:
> FYI:
>
> FASTER THAN A SPEEDING 802.11b If you're pushing the limits of your
> 802.11b WLAN and just can't squeeze another bps out of it, take heart.
> Texas Instruments has developed technology to hop up 802.11b--call it
> b+--and keep 802.11a at bay for now.
> http://cl.com.com/Click?q=9d-kkCWQv0keCFUo9PuKLYJ7IUMB7eR
>
> --Sascha

dyoung at ojctech.com      Engineering from the Right Brain