[Cu-wireless] mesh networks and local government

David Young dyoung at ojctech.com
Wed Sep 11 11:42:43 CDT 2002

I have been reading on the isp-wireless list that some city and county
governments prohibit commercial access points from being installed
on homes. The FCC's "OTARD" rules, which bar local governments from
regulating radio equipment deployment, specifically exempt commercial
access points.

By some governments' reading of the law, nodes in an ISP's mesh radio
network qualify as access points, and so commercial mesh networks are
prohibited.

I wonder if we are affected by any such law in Champaign, Urbana,
or Champaign County? I think we are probably protected because we are
non-commercial.

dyoung at ojctech.com      Engineering from the Right Brain
                        Urbana, IL * (217) 278-3933