[Cu-wireless] Wirless Router Issue

David Young dyoung at pobox.com
Fri Aug 1 00:06:01 CDT 2003

On Thu, Jul 31, 2003 at 06:37:07PM -0500, Madhur Nigam wrote:
> I had a question for you guys. Has any one of you tried to setup netbsd
> router with a wirless card and also a ethernet card where ethernet card gets
> its ip address from another netgear router?

  The C-U Wireless CD-ROM you have should try to get an IP address on
  each ethernet port. If any port cannot be configured using DHCP, the
  CD-ROM will run the DHCP server on that port. If that is not the way
  it works, then your CD-ROM is older than I thought! =)

  Because I think your software is probably badly out of date, in
  another e-mail I will send you a compressed tar file containing the
  development environment I have been using. It is designed so that if
  you "just add NetBSD," it will build a CD-ROM (suitable for booting a
  PC) or a CompactFlash image (suitable for booting a Soekris net4521).
  There are some scripts that do a reasonably good job of automating
  the build, but they are neither robust nor user-friendly. I will do
  what I can to get you started with them.

  By the way, the company I work for, OJC Technologies, has agreed to lend
  the wireless project a speedy Power Macintosh for four months at a time.
  It will become a NetBSD server supporting collaborative development
  of the C-U Wireless Station Boot CD-ROM, a wireless routing daemon,
  and the subsystems for wireless and routing in NetBSD. Anybody who is
  working on a development project for C-U Wireless is entitled to an
  account. You certainly qualify, Madhur.

> OR do you guys always have the netbsd router connecting directly with the
> ISP (dsl or cable). please let me know as if the setup that i am doing has
> been tested by anyone. i have tried everything that i can think of and it
> seems that the problem is that the netgear router is not sending the packets
> back to my netbsd router.

  If I understand correctly, the setup you describe is one we use at
  our two Internet gateways. It works fine.