[Cu-wireless] shortwave receiver on the Internet

David Young dyoung at pobox.com
Sat Aug 16 14:18:14 CDT 2003

This does not have a lot to do with 802.11 networking, but it is pretty
interesting nevertheless.

Go to http://www.orexis.se/, click the Union Jack for the English version
of the page, click "Web controlled receivers," and choose a receiver (I
only see Receiver 2). If you tune to 11.175 MHz, you can hear stations
on the global high-frequency network for U.S. military. There are ground
stations and aircraft, and some operators are patching traffic from
one channel to another. You can also hear examples of hidden terminals,
i.e., you hear somebody speak to a station who is in radio range of the
speaker but not in radio range of the Web receiver. (At least, I think
I heard an example of that.)

I've only just discovered this, so I don't know a lot about it. Mike
Lehman does lots of listening, and he can probably recommend some
interesting shortwave frequencies.