[Cu-wireless] wireless signal issue

Madhur Nigam nigam at students.uiuc.edu
Sun Jul 27 21:56:49 CDT 2003

I know I am receiving signal from cuw as it shows on the signal strength
indicator of my wireless card. Even more strange is that the strength
changes just as it would if the network was actually present.

The only logical conclusion that I would think is that there is another
acess point close to my computer. But then again it must have popped up
recently as my computer did not notice it earlier or rather i didnt notice
until the day i installed the routers from prof. ralph's house.

i live on 308 e. white in champaign. do u know whether there is another
access point around? let me know if that is the case. when i am writing this
email all the routers are turned off i.e. no power however i still get good
signal strength.

i mean it is not like i cant live with this but i am just too curious as to
why my network is behaving like this.

thanks
madhur

PS - Another issue - Maybe related
one thing to note however is that when i receive this signal i can only send
bytes (abt 1 byte/s) which i am assuming is some kind of "who is out there?"
message to cuw from my wireless card. at no time do i receive any bytes from
the cuw ( when the routers are switched on or off). do u know what scripts i
should look into in order to make the routers act like dhcp servers and
assign ip address to my wireless card on my laptop.

i have the routers connected to my netgear router (which is connected to sbc
dsl) using an ethernet cable. when i run dhclient on the router, i get one
ip address from the netgear router thru the ethernet connection and another
one thru the wirelress card on my laptop (running XP and only in this case
my laptop is able to receive the packets and also route them to netgear
router, remember earlier it could only send packets to the cuw not receive).
thus my routers are acting like dhcp clients and fail to run as servers
which is what i want.