[Cu-wireless] New station setup?

David Young dyoung at pobox.com
Thu Jun 26 17:57:04 CDT 2003

On Thu, Jun 26, 2003 at 05:33:35PM -0500, Michael R. Miller wrote:
> I'm interested in setting up as a station at my next residence this fall.
> I know that I can detect the cuw signal from my current residence at
> Green/McCullough via the wireless card on my laptop, but I don't know if
> my next house will be in range.  I'll be near the Leal Elementary school
> on California.

  At Green & McCullough, you are just a few doors from a node. =)

  We do not reach as far as Leal right now, but we know the homeowners
  who can help us "hop" there from one of our nodes on Race Street.

> I have most of the networking knowledge that I'll need, especially with
> the NetBSD boot image, but I'm unfamiliar with the radio equipment used.
> What is the approximate cost of the equipment (minus computer, of course)
> required for setup?  I'm also willing to lend my time to helping at other
> sites, when possible.

  Our standard setup consists of a radio costing $35-$100 (there is
  considerable variation in transmit power and sensitivity), $5-$10 of
  radio cable, two $5 connectors, an antenna costing $60, a mast and
  mounting hardware costing about $20, and less than a buck of electrical
  tape and waterproofing compound.

  For desktop computers, a $35 Cardbus->PCI adapter is usually necessary.