[Cu-wireless] wireless storage:

Illustrious niteshad niteshad at linuxmail.org
Wed Mar 12 19:30:21 CST 2003

About half of that $400 _has_ to be profit.  A quick scan of pricewatch for the noted components gives me a price of a little over a hundred dollars, and that doesn't include the microprocessor, ROM for the BIOS and control software and any RAM that it might need, as well as its (presumably custom-made) main board.  If space isn't a great concern, you could make one yourself out of retail components for less than what they're selling them for.  If power consumption is a concern, use an older microprocessor and motherboard and cut way back on the power supply spec (CD and DVD drives are usually the biggist power drain; this counts double or quadruple for burners.)  Unless it's packaged in a cute, adorable container like the i-Mac, this is a non-starter in the market.