[Cu-wireless] Ideas about a bootp server

David Young dyoung at pobox.com
Thu Mar 20 19:11:18 CST 2003

Ralph,

These days, DHCP is usually used in place of BOOTP. DHCP is actually
an extension to BOOTP. DHCP messages commonly carry an IP assignment,
a gateway address, and a nameserver address.  The messages can carry
essentially any boot parameter, however, be it an encryption key, a boot
image filename and server, etc.

I offer this thought about setting up a VPN: put a public key into your
router whose private counterpart is only held by the operator of the VPN
server. Program the router so that when it wants to open a secure tunnel,
it produces a session key, it encrypts the session key with the public
key, and it sends the encrypted key to the VPN server. The VPN server
answers with a session key encrypted with its private key. Now both
hosts have all that they need to start tunneling. SSH already does this.
I believe you can safely put the same public key into every router on
the network.

A router *does* need to know its IP address to participate in routing.

Dave