[Cu-wireless] buying stuff

David Young dyoung at pobox.com
Sat Apr 10 18:15:00 CDT 2004

On Fri, Apr 09, 2004 at 02:23:58PM -0700, Matt Peterson wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 09, 2004 at 03:55:29PM -0500, Zachary C. Miller wrote:
> >
> > 50 x Reliawave DT-ODE-8585 Outdoor Pole Mount Enclosure Kit
>
> Personally, I build my own boxes (since its cheap).. see a very out of
> date paper <http://www.barwn.org/docs/BARWN_outdoor_router.pdf>

This might be a comparatively expensive and time-consuming solution.
(Bryan, will you publish the photos you took when we built a node?)
Just for example of labor and cost savings, we attach our antenna directly
to the enclosure---no radio cable necessary.  However, new developments
have almost put me off from the ODE-8585.

Today I took down a node we built with the ODE-8585.  It was wrecked by
a dribble of rainwater.  We knew we were taking a risk using the cable
gland upside down.  Now it is apparent that it was a stupid thing to try.

I am leaning back toward the ammo can, myself, since they have survived
hot, cold, wet, or freezing conditions for greater than a year without
a single failure.  They are also cheap, and I think that we can build
them quickly with the right tools, templates, and help.