[Cu-wireless] Going Wireless

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 12 21:05:09 CDT 2004

Sam,
I saw your comment about wanting more info on wifi systems in today's
edition of Undernews (http://prorev.com/indexa.htm). Here in Urbana, IL,
we are in the process of building a community wireless system to provide
ubiquitous (and free to the user) wifi access.

Assisted by a recently won $200,000 grant, the nearly three-year old
project is now expanding from a test network that has tested initial
software and hardware configurations into a syatem that will have at
least 50 nodes. The city of Urbana is participating by allowing access
to city infrastructure (such as locations on city buildings and, soon,
lightpoles).

Eventually, it is hoped that the model developed can be exported to
Third World areas to improve internet access, as well as to any
community that organizes to build such a network. The project is
fiscally sponsored by the Urbana-Champaign Independent Media Center.

Here is a link to the project website for more info:
http://www.cuwireless.net/

Mike Lehman
Urbana, IL