[Cu-wireless] ETX Protocol Spec

Chase Phillips shepard at ameth.org
Sat Apr 17 13:13:05 CDT 2004

Hi Bryan,

On Fri, 9 Apr 2004, Bryan Cribbs wrote:

> This is draft 1 of an ETX protocol specification.
>
> $Id: etx 459 2004-04-09 23:10:11Z bdcribbs $

[snip big doc]

I've converted this document to DocBook 4.2 XML and have used that file to
then create a set of XHTML, PDF, and Text output files.  The input file is
not meant to be 100% complete but is shown as a proof-of-concept for
possible future work.  (I'd like to think that 100% completeness can only
be denoted by the document's original author.)

  http://shepard.ameth.org/etx-protocol-spec/ETX-Protocol-Spec.xml

Output files:

  Chunked XHTML
    http://shepard.ameth.org/etx-protocol-spec/

  Single XHTML
    http://shepard.ameth.org/etx-protocol-spec/ETX-Protocol-Spec.html

  PDF
    http://shepard.ameth.org/etx-protocol-spec/ETX-Protocol-Spec.pdf

  Text
    http://shepard.ameth.org/etx-protocol-spec/ETX-Protocol-Spec.txt

Where possible, the Linux Documentation Project stylesheets have been used
to make the output look (IMO) better.

Of course, since the output files are derived from the one input file, the
only file which should be kept in/managed by CVS is the one DocBook input
file.  I have to admit it was a lot of work getting my system set up to
create these output formats, but now that I know exactly what to do
repeating the process of setting up the software shouldn't take as much
time.

Caveat: The DocBook input file isn't 100% semantically correct.  I've used
the <screen/> tag to handle an exact layout of some of the ASCII art
drawings.  I'd prefer to use a more generic/semantically-correct tag like
<literallayout/> but that did not produce the expected formatting results.
Where there is a choice, I have selected tags that have the intended
formatting results.  Any input is welcome on how to improve the
figures/drawings so they are both semantically-correct and are formatted
similarly to a <screen/> tag.

Bryan, Dave, what do you think?  Are either of you (or others) interested
in this?  If so, I'd be happy to work with whomever to get a CWN machine
set up to handle these sorts of document transformations and assist in
document conversion.

Dave, I had planned to convert the documents you'd posted to the list
recently.  Is this also something in which you're interested?

PS Viewing these files locally overcomes some character set encoding
problems I'm currently debugging on my web server.  The server is set to a
ISO-8859-1 default character encoding and, since in some/all? browsers
the server specification overrides the specified character set explicitly
stated in the file-to-be-rendered, strange characters appear where there
should be, eg, spaces.

Chase