Dev Guide + IP Schema Design DocBook conversion (was Re: [Cu-wireless] ETX Protocol Spec)

Chase Phillips shepard at ameth.org
Sun Apr 18 16:30:30 CDT 2004

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004, Sascha Meinrath wrote:

> Hey Chase (et al.),
>
> On Sat, 17 Apr 2004, Chase Phillips wrote:
>
> > I've converted two more documents: the Developer's Guide and the Network
> > IP Schema Design.  I've also updated the ETX Protocol Spec to match some
> > conventions I've introduced.  I took a stab at suggesting a doc numbering
> > schema a la other technical projects (think IETF's RFC, Jabber's JEP).
> > The addition was a numbering scheme for each document with a prefix of
> > "CTR".  CTR stands for "CUWiN Technical Report".
>
> I like this schema.  It will help us to organize content and will greatly
> help when referring back to stuff.  My main question is how would these
> things interact with our Subversion repositories and with versioning?

Re: versioning, the XML file can contain its own changelog listing major
versions and their accompanying changes.  Take a look at the updated
ETX-Protocol-Spec at

  http://shepard.ameth.org/etx-protocol-spec/

if you'd like to see how DocBook handles storing a revision history in the
output file format.

Note: The changelog in that file is a sample of what can be done and
shouldn't be seen as a statement of this document's actual history.

> This sounds fine -- I think that we should probably have a "Technical
> Reports" section and a "Useful Resources" section.

I agree.  The relevance of "Technical Reports" is low to people who
only wish to become a part of the network (or casual readers or press or
...) and dousing readers in irrelevant information is a quick way to make
their eyes glaze over.  OTOH, I believe there is an audience who mainly
wishes to only read the technical write-ups or to leverage/get at some of
them for future work.  The separation helps both groups.