[Cu-wireless] Introduction

Willy Smith willy at linuxgazette.com
Fri Apr 30 07:46:21 CDT 2004

On Thursday 29 April 2004 23:49, you wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 29, 2004 at 08:49:54PM -0500, Willy Smith wrote:
> > What I'd like to do on LinuxGazette especially is to write more about
> > this development and get some more participants involved. I've jumped the
> > gun a little on this project - I first titled it an "Open Source Mesh
> > Project", but now I realize that it's not Open Source, it's a "free
> > downloadable boot image". So, I'm wondering what your intentions are in
> > this regard, and if there are some restrictions in the software which
> > would inhibit it from becoming OS.
>
> Willy,
>
> The project is absolutely open-source,

Great!

> however, we are behind in
> publishing our source repository.

Do you need help in this area, whether technical, hosting or something else?
Have you considered putting the project on SourceForge? Maybe you could give
a little background here of the status quo and goals.

> The Champaign-Urbana Community Wireless
> Network uses a 4-clause BSD license (below).
>
> Our sources essentially "wrap" the NetBSD sources.  You can think of
> it as a kit to which you "just add NetBSD."  We get a lot of leverage
> out of the NetBSD host tools; it should be possible to cross-build our
> station boot images on virtually any operating system and architecture
> you can think of.

That's good news.

> We have more work to do than we have developer-hours to do it, so we
> are definitely interested in Linux Gazette's help to enlist new folks!

I think we can find some people for the project. For example, there are some
really talented people sending me articles from all over the world; I suspect
there are other people whose English is less than great and who are afraid to
write articles, but who could work on the project.

> *** LICENSE ***
>

>     Copyright (c) 2005 Urbana-Champaign Independent Media Center

I love working with people who are stuck in the future.

I have a few technical questions which I will post under another header.

Regards,

--
Willy Smith
Editor in Chief