[Cu-wireless] Technical questions

Willy Smith willy at linuxgazette.com
Fri Apr 30 08:12:07 CDT 2004

I did take some time to look around the site, but I didn't find the answers to
these questions.

1) Which wireless cards (or chipsets) are currently supported?

2) Are standard drivers used, or have you created (or modified) drivers?

3) Does the software support more than one WiFi card per host?

4) If more than one card is supported, can hosts be linked via a dedicated
point-to-point wireless bridge to extend the mesh?

and, just one wild hallucination:

5) Has anyone done any investigation into whether a standalone radio could be
used? Two common LinkSys products come to mind:
a) The WRT54G can be hacked so that Linux can be installed directly instead of
the factory software.
b) The WAP11, which has 802.11b and an Ethernet port, and which can also be
hacked for more power output and functionality.

The advantages that these units have is that they have external reverse TNC
connectors, can be placed outside in a small box near the antenna, and run on
a nominal 12 volts which can be run through the Ethernet cable interface.
They are also readily available and inexpensive.

Regards,

--
Willy Smith
Editor in Chief