[CUWiN] Info and can I help?

Todd Boyle tboyle at rosehill.net
Mon Aug 2 11:53:50 CDT 2004

Thanks for this gesture; I have done some handwaving at

Community
networks
<http://ledgerism.net/leftside.htm#CommunityNets>http://ledgerism.net/leftside.htm#CommunityNets

   <http://ledgerism.net/requirementsCWNs.htm>CWN requirements
   <http://ledgerism.net/whyP2Pwireless.htm>P2P Revolution
   <http://ledgerism.net/BackFenceLAN.htm>Back Fence LANs
   <http://ledgerism.net/GestureDxNode.htm>Gesture DxNode.htm
   <http://ledgerism.net/BxNodeOffer.htm>Bx Node Offer
   <http://ledgerism.net/devices.htm>Devices and reputation
   <http://ledgerism.net/CarrierWrittenSpecs.htm>Carrier-Written specs
   <http://ledgerism.net/vanlords.htm>Reputation=civil disobed
   <http://ledgerism.net/kirkwireless.htm>Kirkland Wireless

The paradox is, this has to be a turnkey solution for non-techies,
yet, it has to be nonproprietary and available on multiple platforms,
and it has to support pluggable replacements for the links as we
go thru generations of wireless MUCH faster than the investment
can be amortized by its user.

It may be that the community is missing in action, not the network.
If you had a density of even 1 house per 100 meters understanding
the value and wanting to be a CWN node, oh what a different world
it would be.   So, lately, I have been working putting on videos and
bringing lecturers to the city and neighborhood approximately
twice a month, whew, lot of work.   And handing out lots of videos
and audio CDs to friends and strangers nearby..  Example, yesterday
saw a neighbor with a BushWhacked bumper sticker.  Walked up,
gave her my OutFoxed DVD.   People need to get the idea that
videos can come from your neighbors, not only the cable company
or the movie theater or blockbuster.    Hand to hand is a wireless
anticipation network.   When the CWN nodes are available, now,
I have a woman who I can say, "remember me? I gave you the
DVD.   Are you sick of being Out Foxed by media corporations?
Then let us put this 10 foot mast on your roof. "

You could do the same exact thing with the pro-war people.
"Are you tired of the liberal media? ... "    or retired people.
"Are you tired of paying $72.95 a month for your cable,
telephone, and internet bills?   Help is on the way... Let us
install this on your roof.   It takes a community. "

At this point in history CWNs require time and work, more time
and work than alternatives.  So, people need to have a
reason.  Peace and justice people, against corporate globalization,
people concerned with free speech and truthful information.
These are your primary, large market of people who really have
that fervent reason and desire and track record of volunteerism
and activism.  Your prime market is not tech geeks.   They are
smart but they are not "true believers" who are going to spend
days and months and years, building out the network.   The
Christians would be another dedicated large market but they
already have broadcast and cable channels galore.  The
peace and justice movement has *nothing* but a few segments
like http://www.democracynow.org/

Todd Boyle - Kirkland WA - 425-827-3107
home: http://refusenik.org AR/AP everywhere
http://www.ledgerism.net/ member of this and that