[CUWiN] Info and can I help?

Sascha Meinrath sascha at ucimc.org
Tue Aug 3 10:57:33 CDT 2004

Hi Steve,

> I am writing first to see if I can get additional specs, assembly
> instructions and a parts list for the current nodes used in CU network.
> (I can figure most of it out from the CU site and Metrix, but it would
> be easier to just work from a complete document). I assume this same
> platform will be used for the upgraded OSI grant software. Although I
> live and work in New Jersey, my interest is to explore the possibility
> of a CWN project in rural upstate NY (near Syracuse, but well outside
> the city). I have some personal connections to the area and it is
> clearly under-served by the incumbent telecom monopoly. I do have some
> spare Pentium-class machines, but as you note, the remotely upgradeable,
> outdoor nodes will be far more successful.

The closest thing we have to an online spec-list is here:

http://www.cuwireless.net/node_setup.html

If you're converting old PCs, then you just need a PCI wireless card
that's supported by the software (see the "Supported Chipset" section on
the downloads page): http://www.cuwireless.net/downloads.html

It would be very interesting to utilize the CUWiN system in a rural
setting -- it's an extremely dynamic system that can be used in a variety
of different topographies.

> In addition, I would like to offer my time and background to volunteer
> for this effort. My personal interest (inspired by a friend) and goal is
> to help in spreading wireless broadband technology to developing
> nations.

Excellent!  I too am very interested in developing world contexts and the
entire core CUWiN team will be attending a Wireless Summit in Denmark
focused on this very issue.  Check out:  http://www.freifunk.net/ and the
"Fresh Air, Free Networks" Summit.  We're always interested in bringing in
new volunteers to help with the project -- feel free to e-mail me off-list
so we can figure out how to plug you in.

Let me know,

--Sascha

--
Sascha Meinrath
Project Manager & Pres.  *  Project Coordinator  *  Project Manager