[Cu-wireless] Re: Radfest panel w/ SM

Sascha Meinrath sascha at ucimc.org
Wed Feb 18 11:46:47 CST 2004

Hi all,

Sorry for the delay. I've been waiting for FSTV to firm up their plans
since I'd been asked to include them on the panel.  Nancy wrote back last
night saying that things were still up in the air on their side.
Unfortunately, given our timeline and that we need to firm up our plans, I
agree that we should press ahead without FSTV.  Currently the panel
consists of three people, myself, Sarah Kanouse, and Bob.

I am hoping to fill out the panel focus on technology, collaboration, and
journalism by having one of the technical producers for Free Speech Radio
News join us, but at most, the panel would consist of four people -- I
believe Sarah is working on firming that up.  Assuming we are not waiting
on FSTV, the next step would be for the three of us (Sarah, Bob, and me)
to formalize the abstract.  I believe we are very close and that this
should only take a couple days at most (depending on how often folks check
their e-mail ;).

I've included the relevant information below.  Again, sorry for the delay,
but let me know how people would like to proceed,

--Sascha

PANELISTS:  Sarah Kanouse, Bob McCannon, Sascha D. Meinrath
		[4th panelist might be Pauline Bartolone from FSRN]

ABSTRACT:  In the last three years, synergies among Independent Media
Centers and allied organizations have increased dramatically -- many of
these media collaborations are utilizing new technologies to distribute
information, educate the public, and support the Global Justice Movement.
This session will focus on these synergies, paying particular attention to
cutting edge technological initiatives and new forms of radical
participatory media.

SARAH KANOUSE INTEREST: Practitioners of political and cultural resistance
have always struggled to find ways to inhabit and modify a world largely
created by the very forces they are resisting. As modernity passed into
the postmodern and capital expanded from an early industrial model to a
late service/consumer model, public space has become increasingly
privatized and commodified. Some politically engaged cultural workers have
sought more subtly disruptive methods of occupying physical, discursive,
and relational spaces in order to confront and reshape them. These
practices, which I describe as "viral resistance," have not arisen so much
to supplant other forms of resistance, which continue to exist with
arguably diminished success, but to perturb, disrupt, and reimagine spaces
in which people might encounter something closer to democracy.  This paper
defines and describes viral resistance through an analysis of the cultural
work of Krzysztof Wodizcko, Emily Jacir, Indymedia, and Temporary
Services.  The analysis also addresses critically the promise and
shortcomings of the approach from both aesthetic and instrumental
perspectives.

BOB MCCANNON INTEREST:  I am Director of the New Mexico Media Literacy
Project (NMMLP) and Treasurer and a founding Board member for the Action
Coalition for Media Education (ACME). We take an activist view of media
education and think that media reform should be a major part of ME.
Perhaps I could show some of the cutting edge technologies that we have
created and demonstrate some of the cutting edge curricular examples and
methods that we use to interest students and adults in media reform and
participatory democracy. I will bring a multimedia database, computer and
projector to the conference.

SASCHA MEINRATH INTEREST:  I am interested in the synergies among
researchers, activists, and community organizations, particularly the
developement and implementation of new, community-empowering technologies.
I have overseen logistical support for numerous media projects worldwide -
often working closely with people in many of the world's "hot-spots."  I
am the co-founder of the Urbana-Champaign Independent Media Center
Foundation and work with two software and website development companies
Eggplant Active Media Worker Collective and Acorn Active Media Foundation,
which I founded and whose mission is to develop software and build
websites to support the Global Justice Movement. Currently, I am the
project manager for the Community Wireless Network which is building
software and hardware to create community-owned, not-for-profit broadband
networks in cities and towns throughout the world.

--
Sascha Meinrath
Project Manager & President      *      Project Manager