[Cu-wireless] 2wire's irresponsible new product

Stephane Alnet stephane at nospam.shimaore.net
Sun Jan 25 17:03:13 CST 2004

[Dave forwarded:]
>> ----- Forwarded message from John Foust <jfoust at threedee.com> -----
>> I'm a mini-WISP in a small town in the Midwest.
[...]
>> SBC recently rolled out DSL in my town.  They offered a
>> rebate or a wireless AP / firewall.
[...]

On Jan 25, 2004, at 15:26, Illustrious niteshad wrote:
> Would contacting the company and pointing out the ill-effects of their
> product on everybody's wireless networks (i.e. their own customers) do
> any good?

Well, based on the evidences presented, it actually does their customer
(in this case SBC) a lot of good since it reduces the extent of their
competition (in this case the local WISPs). Conspiracy theorists will
already have noticed that channel 6 is right in the middle of the
available channels and thus the most appropriate to interfere with as
much of that segment of the spectrum as possible (I'll let the techies
on the list figure out how well a 480mW signal on channel 6 covers a
100mW signal on channel 1 :] ).

On the positive side, there's a chance all these boxes are configured
the same way (channel, SSID, key, ..) and thus will in short order
offer their neighborhoods free Internet access, which as activists we
can only applaud.

All cynicism aside, I think the only recourse would be to go and knock
on these peoples' doors and offer them a free wireless tuning. It's
always the same thing with the Commons: one abuser kills the Common.
S.

[1] http://www.google.com/search?q=lessig+commons

--
Mayotte - http://stephane.alnet.free.fr/