[CUWiN] Curious

Todd Dickinson toddd at cdg.ws
Fri Jun 18 10:11:41 CDT 2004

Hi,

My name is Todd Dickinson and I work as a developer in Champaign.
Unfortunately, I live about  20 miles west of Champaign in Piatt County and
about 20 years in the past; the only high speed internet access is wireless
(Satellite or PrairieNet).  It's unlikely that the small CATV company that
serves my area will ever offer DSL and waiting for Verizon in this age of
competition to upgrade equipment and plant is a last resort.

I don't know the number of homes (users? nodes?) that it takes to make a
sustainable wireless community project. I live in one of the subdivisions
that has sprouted up along Hwy 10 (near White Heath), just on the other
side of interstate I-72.  I would like to get an idea of requirements to
make a successful wireless community.  A large number of homes are
currently using the PrairieNet WIreless internet service now, so I would
think that there is a lot of interest; the best dial-up speed we can get is
approx 30kbs.

Any information that you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Todd Dickinson