[Cu-wireless] Still need information for ESRI application

Sascha Meinrath sascha at ucimc.org
Tue Mar 9 10:45:45 CST 2004

On Tue, 9 Mar 2004, Wendy Edwards wrote:

> 1) Do we have a tax-exempt #?  If so, what is it?

Yes.  37-1403593

> 2) What was our organization's total budget last year?

$106,000 (UCIMC); ~$5,000 CWN.

> 3) Any preferences on books or extensions?  The information on ArcView
> extensions is at
> http://www.esri.com/software/arcgis/arcgisxtensions/index.html
> Basically, they may cost us $100 apiece - could still be a good deal as
> long as we need them.
>
> The book list is
>   GIS in Public Policy part # 83202
>   Open Access: GIS in e-Government  #85535
>   Mapping Census 2000: The Geography of U.S. Diversity #86788
>   Conservation Geography: Case Studies" 2001 Book  #87905
>   Native Geography Magazine 2001   part #87636
>   Land Trust Geography Magazine 2001  part #87724
>   A System for Survival: GIS and Sustainable Development  #91391
>   Gis for Landscape Architects  #82930
>   Serving Maps on the Internet"  #79644-79572
>   GIS For Health Organizations  #83199
>   Managing Natural Resources with GIS  #79645
>   Mapping the News   #91838
>   Past Time, Past Place: GIS for History  #88537
>   Conservation GIS Starter Kit   # 82492
>   Getting to Know Arcview GIS for Version 3.1  #87849
>   Getting to Know ArcGIS Desktop for version 8.x  #87849
>   Community Geography: GIS in Action  #87599
>   Community Geography: GIS in Action Teacher's Guide  #90974
>
> We can pick one or two.  Any preferences?
>
> Do we want to apply for a course?  There are two options - live and
> web-based.  If we go for the live, somebody has to go, and their travel
> expenses have to be paid.

I don't know what this stuff buys us over using open-source solutions --
especially given that this wouldn't be generalizable to other community
wireless groups because of the cost.  I'd be weary about spending any
funding on this unless we have a clear idea of why it is essential.

--Sascha

--
Sascha Meinrath
Project Manager & President      *      Project Manager