[Cu-wireless] phase iii network: v4/v6 addressing & Internet connectivity

Stephane Alnet stephane at nospam.shimaore.net
Tue Mar 9 14:35:06 CST 2004

Dave,

Regarding the justification of using IPv6...

>   2 Routable IPv4 numbers are in short supply. It is not clear
>     whether CWNs can get hold of them, and it appears that they will
>     cost a *lot*. [...]
>   3 IPv6 is unquestionably the future of the Internet.People are
> already
>     using v6 a little bit[ ...]

[IPv4 addresses are basically free (granted, there's the ARIN fees), so
you can't really use that as an argument. But that's beyond the point.]

I think that:
- being an experimental network using free software, we don't really
need to justify our choices in terms of technology beyond the technical
arguments;
- but even if we did have to, there's probably a bunch of stuff already
written by various marketing departments (like [1]) that should do just
fine if we have to convince anybody of the virtues of IPv6.

[1] http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/732/Tech/ipv6/docs/sod.pdf

Regarding the routing part of the proposal, I need a drawing to better
understand it, but it sounded like you're more-or-less trying to do
something similar to MPLS. With additional complexities like
IPv6-over-IPv6 and dynamic associations ("supplicant", etc.). If I
understand correctly, you are trying to create classes of supplicants,
the equivalence relationship being "routes traffic outbound through
gateway X" [whether you use this to create tunnels or tag traffic
à-la-MPLS is really an implementation artifact in my opinion, not a
design limitation]. I'm a bit confused at how the traffic internal to
the network gets handled, however (that's the traffic that has no
outbound gateway) -- obviously it would get routed "normally" but are
there any border conditions that need to be taken care of? I guessed
that IPv4 traffic gets nat'ed and IPv6 traffic is tunneled, but that
may not have been the intent either. Just checkin'

I tend to believe that nd/nsd-kind-of things would be better served by
ideas you already put forward (like using multicast, or maybe
well-known, network-limited addresses, now that we are talking about
IPv6?), independently from the underlying network architecture(s).
Nothing prevents us from having (some) routers or (better, given the
architecture proposed) the gateways acting as servers; of course the
case of the "no outbound gateway" class of traffic(/nodes?) requires
special attention. I also think that providing the (larger) community
with an IP-based, self-bootstrapable "name" service system (aka
directory) would be a great realisation, whether or not you solve the
routing (& other) issues -- that's another reason I'd see to disconnect
this from the routing protocol development.

Just my non-expert opinion, YMMV. :)
S.

--
Mayotte - http://stephane.alnet.free.fr/