[Cu-wireless] HSLS?

Joe Pickert joe at castanet.com
Mon Mar 8 17:25:22 CST 2004

Hi,

Having just jumped on the bandwagon, I was reading the BBN paper on HSLS.
A number of things struck me, but I most wonder about a couple of the
assumptions in this algorithm with respect to its expected performance.
A.5 (as network size increases, node generated traffic remains constant)
and A.6 (all possible node destinations are equiprobable) do not seem to
hold (even in the abstract) for the cuwireless topology, as I understand
it anyway. Rather it seems that a relatively small subset of nodes (those
with the broadband connections to the "outside") will see significant
increases in traffic as the network topology size increases, and that
traffic to and from these "gateway" nodes must be handled with the utmost
overall efficiency, while the routing of the pedestrian traffic between
the other nodes is much less crucial (maybe even totally unimportant in
terms of bandwidth usage). This topology seems to argue for some variation
of a gateway routing protocol (i.e., where gateways confer with each other
to develop routing tables that equalize traffic and maximize bandwidth). I
have just starting reading through the grant, so if this is addressed in
there, I will eventually find it. Otherwise, can someone clarify?

Thanks---

Joe