[Cu-wireless] HSLS?

Stephane Alnet stephane at nospam.shimaore.net
Wed Mar 10 19:18:21 CST 2004

Hi Todd,

Couple comments. Your analysis is interesting, just wanted to add my 2
cents.

>  In 2000-2001 I worked in a fairly busy office; they had approx. 30
>  people on 2 floors, with 3 APs and it was not really successful
>  there; perhaps 20% of the time it was just not accessible. And
>  another 30% of the time it was too slow or intermittent.
[...]
>  so that gave me the impression it doesn't fail gracefully when
>  you get a whole bunch of highspeed, developer workstations.

It was the wrong infrastructure for a development environment. Should
have looked at 100Mb/s wired (at the time), and nowadays probably
gigabit to the desktop. Not 10Mb/s shared. Whoever recommended wireless
for such an environment shouldn't be doing recommendations..

In other words: you had the bad experience of trying to move an
aircraft carrier with a horse and carriage.

>  Municipalities are saying they can get fiber laid at 10 cents on the
>  dollar if they simply wait for the installation of sewers or other
> work to
>  piggyback.  So, cities could and should, grow fiber resources
[...]
> If Kirkland's city council provided leadership and coordination

In my experience, this kind of leadership is generally the missing
link. I've seen very knowledgeable people working on this kind of
project and having all the details (technical and financial) ready for
public scrutiny, only to be shun down by the politics.

(I'm not pretending I know more than that; but laying fiber in sewers
is expensive, invisible (underground), and doesn't give a "positive
picture" (key word: sewer). In other words it doesn't tend to build
immediate political prestige, and unless you have the chance to work
with a leadership team that understand the bigger picture, it won't
happen. Been there, ...)

I think your reasoning is worthwhile and I agree that the economic
model of a grassroot movement can't compete with any well-designed
business; but on the other hand, building it yourself has the advantage
of doing just that: building it.

S.