[Cu-wireless] HSLS?

Todd Boyle tboyle at rosehill.net
Wed Mar 10 22:24:39 CST 2004

At 05:18 PM 3/10/2004, Stephane Alnet wrote

>>  Municipalities are saying they can get fiber laid at 10 cents on the
>>  dollar if they simply wait for the installation of sewers or other work to
>>  piggyback.  So, cities could and should, grow fiber resources
>[...]
>>If Kirkland's city council provided leadership and coordination
>
>In my experience, this kind of leadership is generally the missing link.
>I've seen very knowledgeable people working on this kind of project and
>having all the details (technical and financial) ready for public
>scrutiny, only to be shun down by the politics.

Briefly, the city has elected, nonprofessional city council and mayor
system, with a professional city manager, and good, well funded IT facility
and people.  There isn't any unusual degree of corruption or industry
influence -just the usual swarms of vendors.   The deficiency is the
people.  This city of 45000 has been home to dozens of telecom and IT
companies and there must be at least 1000 of the residents work for
Microsoft alone.  But nobody comes to the hearings or study sessions.  I
mean NOBODY.  The tech people who ought to come, don't come because this is
a high income city full of the beneciaries of top-down control, strong IP
laws, a strongly ordered society generally.  For example when Bush came,
his fundraiser was at Craig McCaw's mansion and 700 people paid $2000.  The
non-tech people are various sorts of high wealth leisure types, and busy
heads of families often 2 income... but my point is, there is nobody who
gives a d*mn about george guilders' telecosm or about media reform or
democracy, or any of the things that make you want to build a better
network.  Or a cheaper network.    It's just a bad place to try to build a
3rd, overbuilt, alternative broadband network.

>(I'm not pretending I know more than that; but laying fiber in sewers is
>expensive, invisible (underground), and doesn't give a "positive picture"
>(key word: sewer). In other words it doesn't tend to build immediate
>political prestige, and unless you have the chance to work with a
>leadership team that understand the bigger picture, it won't happen. Been
>there, ...)

Oh that's all true.. .but understand, the City's conduit strategy is that
whenever ANYBODY wants to open the street of course they have to apply for
a City permit, and part of the permitting process is the IT department gets
to decide whether that trench is someplace they would like to have more
fiber or conduit.  If the answer is yes, then they horse-trade with the
applicant and work out an agreement.   On the day the work is done, whether
its a water line, sewer, or somebody else's fiber project, the City gets
their element put into the ground alongside it perhaps, or sometimes, some
fiber or some extra, empty conduit tube in the same bundle.

This makes the City look smart and has no downside. First of all the City
has realized some actual bandwidth on routes they needed.  In any case it
gives the City leverage in other bandwidth negotiations for their own needs
or for local schools, hospitals, library etc.etc.

Sometimes they can get a new segment for nothing more than noncash
concessions.  But $10,000 to get a quarter mile down the street can be a
good move.  The City has a unique advantage.  They have a top-down
knowledge of a lot of other future urban development.  Sooner or later they
know, big trenches are going to happen, on certain streets.

>I think your reasoning is worthwhile and I agree that the economic model
>of a grassroot movement can't compete with any well-designed business; but
>on the other hand, building it yourself has the advantage of doing just
>that: building it.
>S.

To the contrary, a grassroots movement has ADVANTAGES over
telcos/cablecos/satellites.

1. the biggest: we do NOT have conflicting and perverted goals that our
hardware must reliably capture other people into a rent-paying role, as
part of a longterm stragegy, for decades into the future.  This makes our
job massively easier.   We just want to equip ourself with bandwidth, and
there is hardware available, just sitting there, ready to use, for such
simple goals.

2. The equipment for our needs is so cheap that it would be $20, throwaway
equipment if manufacturers would produce it at high volume (e.g. common
WiFi cards/ APs)   This also means, no engineers or house calls.

(since the stuff is so cheap, we will never be a "service model" but rather
a "user" model we know, we're just looking for a piece of hardware that
works, and that moves bits.   This is so much easier than all the
maintainability, SNMP, authentication and billing cruft, needed by the
Telcos. )

3.  we don't have an "installed base" and thankfully it isn't copper
4.  we don't have 3 million unionized workers with huge pension and health
costs to take care of....
5.  we dont have hundreds of billions of debt that to pay interest on, for
obsolete telephone switches on every streetcorner and junk we have bought
from every vender that came down the pike.

6. We don't have to pay rent for the last 100 feet to our homes or to
adjacent homes, and they don't have to pay rent to adjacent homes.  (If
people had half a brain we could just go out the back yards, and trench the
neighborhood ourselves, about a foot deep and throw in Gig E... . easy does
it.)

7.  Since *we* are the residents and citizens of the city, when we speak to
our city council or staff, they actually do listen.  If there are public
interests at stake, it becomes hard to act adversely to the public
interest.   Unlike the federal level, here in our cities they cannot simply
ignore the argument and bring in riot police to keep us in "free speech
zones" !  (I am not presuming, that CWNs are the right decision or that the
City *should* fund fiber links to feed our ideas of a mesh.   But if those
fiber links and CWNs are actually feasable, cost effective, and low risk,
then woe betide that city council or IT staff who makes higher cost choices
or sub standard service to the residents out of simple negligence.  They
would have to explain it. )

Todd