[Cu-wireless] Re: advice on software for online debate

Stephane Alnet stephane at shimaore.net
Thu Mar 18 13:13:02 CST 2004

Jerzy,

I will be happy to answer any questions you may have on voice-over-IP
and help in any way possible. However I don't have at this time the
depth of conferencing *product* knowledge required to readily answer
your question, although I'd be happy to do additional research if you
want. More importantly I can't ethically do a recommendation since I'm
working for a vendor selling VoIP products and doing so would
constitute a conflict of interest. But as I said I'll be happy to help
in any way. :)

I'm forwarding your request to our larger distribution list so that if
anybody is interested in researching the topic they can work on it.

In the meantime, here are some thoughts I had while reading the
document you sent (sorry if you already know any or all of this!):

* besides the software you are using, quality of the voice is going to
be affected by:

   - the audio equipment you are using; using a headset with attached
microphone is better than using a microphone on the PC and speakers,
for example;

   - the speed of the computer you are using; for example, a
recent/faster computer will be able to provide smaller latency (the
time to transform the audio signal into packets that go on the network
and vice-versa), especially if you are using complex codecs (like
G.729);

   - the speed of connection to the Internet; since you cannot control
the delivery of the audio streams over the Internet, you should at
least allow for a connection at 128kb/s. (The requirements for FWD[1]
are a decent guideline.) Although technologies are available to provide
better transmission quality over an IP network, these are not deployed
on the Internet backbone; providing higher bandwidth at the endpoints
is one way to mitigate this kind of issues.

[1] http://www.freeworlddialup.com/support/faq/networking#328

Note: All of these can be tested independently from the "conferencing"
part using Netmeeting or any similar peer-to-peer voice software.

* reading through the document it seems you are looking for a solution
that (from a voice standpoint only) allows:
  (a) four participants to actively talk at any time;
  (b) an arbitrary number of participants to listen.

In this scenario I would highly recommend that you separate the
"conference" server from the audio endpoints. Ideally that conference
server should be located at a point (on the Internet) where it has a
"lot" of bandwidth available; then the active audio endpoints only need
to have a two-way connection to the server (not to each of the other
participants, and definitely not to every listener!), and the listeners
can listen-in using some form of audio streaming. (Again, since I don't
know much about products in this area, it is possible that Sametime
already provides this. Or not.)

You may need different components to do the audio bridging (ideally
under control of some website, based on the larger proposal), and the
audio streaming. So maybe something like this:

          active        active       etc.
          participant   participant  ..
            ^              ^             ^
             \             |            /
              \            |           /
               v           v          v
               ------------------------    ------------------------
               | audio bridge         |----| web-based management |
               ------------------------    ------------------------

                    ----------------
                    | streaming    |
                    ----------------
                     /  /  |  \   \
                    v  v   v  v    v
                  Listeners listeners..

Thinking of it, there are "service providers" that provide similar kind
of services (for example for online press-conference / earning reports
/...). Maybe it would be worth investigating what product they use for
that purpose.

Once again I'm not an expert in this kind of solution, so these are
merely pointers. Hope you find them helpful!
Stéphane

PS: Remove "nospam" from my email address to reply directly. Or simply
reply to the list if you feel so! :)