[Cu-wireless] Questions

Sascha Meinrath sascha at ucimc.org
Mon May 3 11:54:28 CDT 2004

Hi David,

One central goal of the Champaign-Urbana Community Wireless Network
(CUWiN) is to build a system so that people like you can work on
innovative projects.

Thanks for contacting us -- we can supply you with complete wireless nodes
-- they cost $500 + shipping right now (we are hoping that this price will
drop over the next year).

The nodes include an indoor-outdoor enclosure, 8dbi omni-directional
antenna, 802.11 wireless card, power-over-ethernet injector, 64MB of flash
memory -- basically, everything that's needed to form a fully operational
wireless mesh.  We can install our software on these nodes or ship them
without the software.

If you have questions, please let me know,

--Sascha Meinrath
Coordinator
CUWiN

On Mon, 3 May 2004, David Vice wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am interested in your project. I am a developer by
> trade and my current "personal" project is developing
> a wireless system to monitor the children in my
> neighbor hood.
>
> I am talking with other parents in my neighborhood
> about developing a system that will create an add-hoc
> network of small wireless access point type devices
> which will monitor 802.11 devices worn by the
> children.
>
> I have found a company which makes small wifi tags
> which would last 3 years on a single battery. Your
> system seems like it could provide the basis for the
> receivers which will detect the tag wifi signal an
> notify the other nodes of the tag found.
>
> I had been looking at building a custom app on top of
> something like JXTA (jxta.org) to provide a P2P type
> system on top of the receivers. Although it would be
> nice, triangulation would not be required. Only
> knowing that each tag is in range of a know receiver
> and alarming when a tag is not found by any receiver.
>
> Each receiver would have a location associated with
> it. Parents would be able to see the location of the
> receiver closest to the children's tag(s).
>
> I hope I explained this well enough. This could end up
> being simply a add-on to your existing wireless
> network. We also want to enable those parents without
> Internet access to participate.
>
> Do you sell the Soekris devices with your enclosures
> and the Power-over-Ethernet included? If so, how much
> are they?
>
> Please respond with your comments.
>
> David Vice

Sascha Meinrath
Project Manager & President      *      Project Manager
Acorn Active Media Foundation   ***     Eggplant Active Media
www.acornactivemedia.com         *      www.eggplantmedia.com