[CUWiN] configuring a node

David Young dyoung at pobox.com
Sat Oct 16 04:22:52 CDT 2004

On Thu, Oct 14, 2004 at 01:37:19PM -0500, Shankar Rao wrote:
> On Oct 13, 2004, at 6:22 PM, David Young wrote:
>
> >You downloaded it from our website, then?  I don't think 0.5.3 has any
> >user accounts.  You have to login as root on the console.  Password is
> >"changeme." :-)
>
> Can I just ssh in from my laptop? How can I login from the console? Do
> I need a keyboard that plugs in to the serial port of the computer?

You have to connect with a null-modem cable.

> >>When I checked at 1:30 pm today, the "cuw" network has BSSID
> >>02:02:72:6F:B7:8C .
> >
> >That is our network.
>
> So does that mean that my node is on the network, or does it mean that
> my laptop is consistently detecting some node with this BSSID on the
> network? An unscientific test seems to indicate that I can see this
> network only when the node is powered on.

I think that your node is on the network, because I saw a new node in
our routing tables.

> >>I have noticed that the BSSID changes every time I
> >>reboot the node.
> >
> >Every time?
> >

> Hmmm.. actually now I'm not sure. Is it possible I am detecting other
> "cuw" networks as well? When I came home yesterday, there was, at one
> point, four different "cuw" networks, each with a different BSSID, and
> each with different signal.

Hmm.  You are sure that the different BSSIDs are not actually different
MACs?  Is this NetStumbler you are talking about?  NetStumbler may be
confused by 802.11 nets in ad hoc mode.