[CUWiN] Slate on community wireless networks

Sascha Meinrath sascha at ucimc.org
Tue Sep 14 14:27:54 CDT 2004

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004, Paul Smith wrote:

> http://slate.msn.com/id/2106657/
>
> I'm composing a response to Paul emphasizing emerging spectrum
> management methods that mitigate interference.

This is a pretty shoddy piece of work.  I wonder how much of it was
written in consultation with Ron Resnick of the WiMax Forum and where
they're getting their information on Wi-Fi capabilities (since they are
clearly incorrect -- CUWiN has multiple links that are way over 300 feet
and can make solid links through trees of several hundred meters before
things become marginal).  I do agree that city-wide WiFi systems won't be
"free", but they'll be "free to the end-users" if they're municipally
supported (thus helping to eliminate the digital divide and allowing _all_
users to get online, not just the priviledged few who can afford it).

More importantly, the cost of municipally-funded networks are an order of
magnitude less than the profit-driven business models that Paul Boutin
supports.  In addition, drawing up a false dichotomy, "there will soon be
two options for wireless -- spotty coverage that's free or a strong signal
that could cost as much as your cell phone plan" completely ignores the
fact (which we've all seen or personally experienced) that cell phone
signals are themselves quite spotty -- the real breakdown is between
low-cost wireless networks and high-cost wireless networks, both of which
can be spotty or good depending on how well they're built.  Finally, Paul
Boutin completely ignores the possibility that parts of the Public
Airwaves should be made available by the FCC to provide a leve playing
field between major telecomm companies and Community Wireless Networks.
Given that the Public Airwaves exist to serve _the public_ -- it is
logical that municipally-supported networks have access to them in order
to build networks that serve the public.

--Sascha

--
Sascha Meinrath
Project Manager & Pres.  *  Project Coordinator  *  Project Manager