[CUWiN] Slate on community wireless networks

Sascha Meinrath sascha at ucimc.org
Tue Sep 14 18:02:36 CDT 2004

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004, Todd Boyle wrote:

>>> CUWiN has multiple links that are way over 300 feet and can make solid
> links through trees of several hundred meters....
>
> Sascha,
>
> Just briefly, like one paragraph, could you update us on the present
> cost of hardware/antenna etc. for one complete node? Has it come down at
> all?  Also-- is the software proving robust in operation i.e. once the
> thing is setup does it crash from time to time (and if so, does it
> startup ok without a "truck roll" when the node's owner repower it??)

Very briefly: we've been buying our nodes from Metrix (which I recommend
highly) -- the website for our base node is:
http://metrix.net/metrix/products/packages We use the Mark I ($330 -- less
for Community Wireless Groups), then add PoE Injectors ($30), 8-9dbi omni
antennas ($50), and patch cables ($25).  After you add masts, chimney
mounts, ethernet cable, etc. it's about $450-500.  CUWiN also has a CD-ROM
bootable image that can run on an old (recycled) desktop; in that case
your only expenses are the wireless card, antenna, and patch cable
(~$150).  The software is extremely robust -- but the system will not
scale beyond several dozen nodes until January 2005.  We've had complete,
network-wide power-failures -- the system is entirely self-configuring, so
when the power comes back on, all the nodes start up, self-configure, and
form the network without any need for human intervention.

--Sascha