[CUWiN] WiMax Vs Wi-Fi RF Issues

Carl007 Carl007 at comcast.net
Fri Sep 17 13:56:55 CDT 2004

Re: WiMax Article Response

First of all, I would avoid any criticism regarding RF exposure with
WiMax since it is obvious to me that you are shooting from the hip.

Many of the cellular towers that are used for cellular telephony use 20
watts output into a 10 db gain antenna for 200 EIRP or more. The North
America cellular phones operate in both the 800 MHz and 1800 MHz
spectrum. The 1800 MHz band is close to the 2400 MHz for 802.11b/g.

The cellular handsets operate at 0.6 watt power output with the antenna
often next to you ear or eye.  This compares to an AP or PCMCIA card at
0.1 watt. While the AP antenna may have a 6 dB gain for an EIRP 0f .4
watts, it is rarely located next to your ear or eye.  (There are issues
regarding measurements based on a dipole or Isotropic radiator with a 2+
dB difference but this is not significant to this discussion).

Further, Public safety personnel, Police and Fire plus utility companies
and Municipalities use 800 MHz radios with handheld power outputs of 2
watts or more --often 4 watts. These radios are used with their antennas
near the users ear or eye. The Base Station radios again are like the
cellular radios with outputs of 40 watts and more into high gain
antennas. The FCC has RF exposure limits and today's handheld RF devices
comply with those regulations. However, there is some controversy and
there are new studies made yearly that are critical of the US standards.

Finally, WiMax HANDHELD radios will not have 30 watts output power. The
battery would be to heavy to carry to support that much power for
several hours of use.  The power output for the handhelds will likely be
similar to today's cellular telephones. The base station radios
---located outside on 100 foot towers/poles--- will likely be at 30
watts output power into high gain antennas--not too dissimilar to
today's cellular infrastructure network.

Carl Kolenda
BSEE
NW8Z